Sunday, November 25, 2007

Meaningless, Meaningless, Everything Is Meaningless

It's amazing how your life can change at the blink of an eye. I can remember the past couple of years dreading to get that phone call, "Your grandma has died." or "Your grandpa has died." It got to the point that every time the phone rang I thought it was bad news, because let's face it in my house that's usually what it ended up being.

Tonight I got a similar phone call. My dad left me a message asking me to call him when I got a chance. My dad's tone is sometimes hard to read over the phone, but I could tell that it was not good news. When I called him he told me that my uncle-his brother, Todd had been found dead in the basement of the people's house he was living in on Friday morning-the irony of all ironies, Black Friday. While people were rushing out to get their hands on stuff they could give their loved ones for Christmas my uncle lie dead in the basement.

The funeral is probably going to be later this week. It is going to be about two hours southwest of St. Louis, so due to my I.C. I will not be able to attend (among other things). My grandma is planning the funeral, which in and of itself means the day will be interesting to say the least.

My dad mentioned that he felt like the writer of Ecclesiastes. I don't remember which verse he quoted, but when all that has happened to him and my mom-he wouldn't have needed to mention a particular verse to know it was true. What is most admirable about my father is that he has experienced all of the things of this world has to offer and has come to the conclusion that everything is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. He has been estranged from his mother, experienced the death of his father, my mother's father and mother (who were like parents to him), been a partner to his wife while she battled breast cancer and still says with Job, "Though he slay me, yet I will hope in him." In his youth (in this day and age mid fifties is still considered young) he has remembered his creator and in the days of trouble God has found that his faith-of greater worth than gold-proved genuine and one day will result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. He is receiving the goal of his faith, the salvation of his soul.

So as my father buries his younger brother I know my dad will look up to the sky, with tears glistening in his eyes and say, "May God be glorified." And I know He will.

No comments: