Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hey, Hey It's Saturday

So, it's Saturday. Actually the Saturday before my birthday, which is Monday. The big 2-7. Do I feel old? No not really. Everyone at work tells me I look like I'm 21. God bless those people. Usually we celebrate my birthday on the weekend before it (or which ever one is closer), but we can't really this weekend because 1) Jonathan is having his baby dedication and 2) John Mark abandoned me today for a UK basketball game. I can never ask off for my birthday because we can't ask off in January at my work-so in that way I feel kind of cursed, so we will celebrate next weekend, which works for me because I want to see "27 Dresses" and it doesn't come out until after my birthday. The positive thing about this weekend is my parents are coming in town so I will get to see them, but they are coming for baby Jonathan, not my birthday...well he is pretty cute:) Plus it's not like I'm turning 30 or anything-AUGHHHH! But if 40 is the new 30, I think I will be fine with turning 20 again...They are buying me dinner tonight for my birthday-so I guess it's a pre-birthday partial weekend, but we usually devote a whole day to seeing a movie I want to see and eating at a special place that I want to eat at (we do the same for JM's birthday)-so technically it is not a birthday weekend.

So what, pray tell, am I going to do with my lonely, isolated day? My goal is to actually work on my book. I find solitude is a good thing for writing. If John Mark was here I wouldn't consider writing anything because we usually go out on Saturdays. It is kind of eerily quiet, with the occasional car motor from outside, but I am a bit of a recluse and don't mind isolation that much. I just wrote several pages on New Years Day, but I'm not sure I like what I wrote-so I may have to re-visit them. The book is kind of at a turning point-I guess you would call that the climax in writing terms...though now that I'm older that doesn't sound quite right. Anyway, I'm at the important turning point for the character as far as her relationship with her best guy friend (well I know you've probably heard that plot before-but never with a mom who just had a double mastectomy! Don't worry that's not what happened to my mom. I am trying to be more dramatic. Besides, if that plot is good enough for Jane Austen-like Emma for example-then it is good enough for me!), but I'm not that far into the story of her mom's cancer...so somehow I will have to find a balance. Maybe they will ignore it for a month or two. Why I am telling all of this to the bloggersphere I don't really know myself. Maybe to actually force myself to actually do what I am going to do and write this friggin' book!!

So now I must exit and turn the internet off so I don't sit on here and surf it all day. Besides I need to get off of my butt and do Pilates.

No comments: